WordPress has become one of, if not THE, most popular open source blogging and content management systems around. With over 25 million websites and blogs powered by this award-winning web software and a continuously expanding community of developers, designers and contributors, freelancers who have the skills and knowledge to create WordPress websites are in high demand. Over 90% of my own freelance business involves the use of WordPress somehow, and I have found a niche for providing clients with quality, affordable, custom WordPress websites that has grown my business at a rapid pace.
In this post, I am sharing 13 sites (in no particular order) I find myself visiting often for tips, tricks and tutorials that will enhance and expand your WordPress knowledge and abilities. Some of them you may already know and others you may not. Regardless, these are my own personal haunts when it comes to getting more out of WordPress.
This one is obvious, and anyone who is using WordPress has visited this site at least once. The home of the software provides everything you could possibly need for its use, including a support forum for everything from plug-ins to templates and more. Of course, the Codex is the mother lode of info for creating custom WordPress websites.
Digging Into WordPress
Not only the home base of the extremely helpful book by the same name, this site is also a wealth of tips and tricks from basic to advanced. I learn something every single time I visit this site.
- Putting FTP Info in wp-config.php to Ease Updates
- Display Total Number of Blogroll Bookmarks
- Dynamic Archives
- How to Create a Tab Based Social Widget for WordPress
- 31 Days to Build a Better Blog
- How to Hide Your Posts from Some Users in WordPress
- Stop WordPress From Ever Logging Out
- Remove WordPress Multisite Feature – ToDo List!
- debugConsole with WordPress
- Software Releases And The Kitchen Sink
- WordPress, Disqus, And Spam Comments
- WordPress Mobile Users Grow To 1 Million
This site provides a range of WordPress services, from installation to hosting to theme design, but it also aims to offer help, tutorials and reviews of WordPress plugins and themes on the blog.
- Interview with Mark B, Creator of Autoblogged Plugin
- Magnificent from Elegant Themes: Premium Theme Review
- WordPress Cheat Sheets & PDFs (Download)
- Documenting A Premium Theme
- Creating A Tumblog With WordPress
- Submit WordPress Posts From The Front End
- How to Use Categories and Tags as Keywords
- How to improve WordPress title tags
- How to pull content from other websites automatically
- How to count your blogroll links
- WordPress tip: How to make term edition easier
- How to count retweets in full text on your WordPress posts
In addition to featuring a large variety of WordPress themes and providing reviews of WordPress plug-ins, this site was set up to cover the world surrounding WordPress, including the latest WordPress hacks, news, tips, tricks, and how-to’s.
- Best WordPress Widgets For Your Blog
- A Social Media Strategy for WordPress Users
- Facebook Like for Tags WordPress Plugin
Pro Blog Design
- How to Get Your Twitter Follower Number in Plain Text
- Working With WordPress Shortcodes
- How to Edit the WordPress RSS Feed
Small, searchable snippets of code, helping you to create a magic WordPress Theme. Straight forward is the lead word for WP Snippets. No talk, just Snippets.
Did I miss some WordPress sites that you know and love and use often? If so, please share them in the comments below.