Great article. We created a free guide to getting started in ‘DIY SEO’ that people may find useful:
15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO
We recently compiled a list of some of the best social media blogs on the web. Although maintaining healthy relationships and building a strong network on the web is crucial, search engine placement certainly can’t be ignored either.
We all know the impact of search engines on our daily traffic. It can be a make or break deal. With Google covering the most ground on search engine space and Bing slowly trying to catch up, it is a must for freelancers to learn the basics of search engine optimization. The key is to utilize both social media and search engines in a way that gets you the most from both worlds.
Here are 15 SEO blogs that you should read if you are interesting in mastering SEO:
15 SEO Blogs You Should Read
Some of these blogs will help you learn the basics of how search engines work, and others will keep you up-to-date on what’s new in search space. I’ve included a brief excerpt from each one to give you an idea of what these blogs are all about.
Go ahead and add these blogs to your feed reader and get ready to dominate search engines with rankings that will be hard to beat. These blogs aren’t mentioned in any particular order.
- Matt Cutts: Matt Cutts joined Google in 2000 and currently leads Google’s webspam team. Matt wrote the first version of Safesearch, Google’s family filter.
- Search Engine Land: Search Engine Land is a news and information site covering search engine marketing, searching issues and the search engine industry. The site is led by journalist Danny Sullivan, who has been covering search for the past 11 years.
- Michael Gray: Michael Gray became involved in web development and website management in 1998. He was Webmaster for a major specialty retailer, helping create their website presence and growing their online sales from less than $10,000 a month to over $25 million in annual web sales. Michael has been involved with affiliate marketing campaigns for several years and does consulting work on a variety of topics such as SEO, Social Media and Blog Management.
- Search Engine Roundtable : The purpose behind the Search Engine Roundtable is to report on the most interesting threads taking place at the SEM (Search Engine Marketing) forums. By enlisting some of the most recognized names at those forums, the Roundtable is able to not only report on these outstanding threads, but also to provide a synopsis that provides greater detail into those threads.
Note: Search Engine Roundtable turned six on Dec. 2nd. Head over and wish them a happy belated birthday!
- SEOmoz: SEOmoz provides companies around the world with consulting, Internet marketing and search engine optimization services. With over 55,000 subscribers, SEOmoz is one of the most popular blogs when it comes to search engines.
- Search Engine Marketing Blog: RedFly Marketing (company that runs search engine marketing blog) is a full service search engine marketing (SEM), search engine optimization (SEO), and online advertising company based in Dublin, Ireland.
- Search Engine Watch: Search Engine Watch provides tips and information about searching the web, analysis of the search engine industry and help to site owners trying to improve their ability to be found in search engines.
- Search Engine Journal: Search Engine Journal, established in 2003, is a six year old publication of Search & Social Media, LLC, which specializes in a community approach to the reporting of search engine news & the sharing of Search Engine Marketing knowledge & tactics.
- Blogstorm: Blogstorm is the UK’s largest blog discussing internet marketing and search engine optimisation news & strategies. Patrick is Director of Search at Branded3, a Leeds based full service digital agency specializing in search engine optimization and social media marketing as well as building and designing websites and applications.
- Search Engine Marketing Group: The Search Engine Marketing Group was founded in early 2006 by serial entrepreneur Gerald Weber. What started as a Houston website consulting and design firm has quickly grown into one of the leading Houston search engine marketing companies.
- SEO Scoop: SEO Scoop is a community oriented search engine optimization blog, enabling a group of SEOs to share search engine optimization experience and theories with other interested SEOs.
- Blue Hat SEO: BlueHatSEO.com is the only website on the Internet that is completely dedicated to the art of Advanced SEO. Blue Hat SEO is essentially the study of advanced Internet marketing and search engine optimization techniques. Blue Hat SEO covers the advanced knowledge of both Black Hat and White Hat SEO.
- Daily SEO Blog: You can find practical, jargon free SEO tips here that you can take back home and implement on your site. Most of the articles featured here are the outcome of Mani Karthik’s experiences with the SEO learning process.
- SEO 2.0: Tadeusz Szewczyk alias “Tad Chef” is Germany’s most notorious white hat SEO, assaulting outdated SEO practices since 2004. He has been messing with the Internet since 1997 and therefore has all the scars of a web developer.
- Ask Kalena: AskKalena.com is a search engine advice column where users send their search related questions. Kalena Jordan is one of the original search engine blog writers who describes herself as “the search industry’s first agony aunt.”
Whether you are focused primarily on social media or search, just remember to put a bit of work into both. When it comes to letting others know of your freelance business, don’t think of search and social media as an “either or” proposition, think of it as a “when and how” challenge.
Your Turn To Share
The blogs mentioned above are the ones that I visit regularly to learn and stay current on search engine trends. Feel free to add more to the list in the comment section. If you have any SEO tips and tricks for fellow freelancers, make sure you share them with the rest of us.
Image by timusan
- An Introduction to Search Engine Optimization
- 10 SEO Techniques All Top Web Sites Should Use
- 20 Not-So-Obvious Blogs For Freelancers
- Top 100 List Of Make Money at Home Blogs
- 30 Sites Every Freelancer Should Visit and Utilize
Unleash the true potential of your business. Get The Unlimited Freelancer and start transforming your freelance business,
now only $19.
December 14th, 2009 at 10:44 am
Without a doubt, SEOMoz is the most interesting, insightful and resourceful blog that I have in my RSS Reader and I wouldn’t know half the stuff I do about SEO without it.
It’s the one I’d recommend most out of that whole list.
December 14th, 2009 at 1:38 pm
Nice collection. I’ve been looking for something like this! Thank you.
December 14th, 2009 at 1:42 pm
Great collection, thanks for sharing!
December 14th, 2009 at 3:10 pm
Boostability.com is a DIY site that helps you do SEO tasks without spending hours reading books or blogs. We tell you exactly what to do , why you are doing and how to do it. Start with our free automated website analysis then try our product for free.
December 14th, 2009 at 3:15 pm
December 14th, 2009 at 4:12 pm
Search Engine Journal covers a lot more than just SEO techniques… they do a updates on the latest technology, social media news, and blogging tips.
As far as tips and tricks for other freelancers, the biggest thing to keep aware of is that any SEO efforts you are making for clients must look natural, otherwise your client could end up being dinged by Google. And the last thing you want is for your client to have their site de-indexed from Google search results because someone insisted that it was a good idea to build up 200 links within three weeks of a website’s launch.
HermitbikerDecember 14th, 2009 at 5:40 pm
A great collection about “learning & mastering”… SEO !! Thanks “FreelanceFolder” !!
December 14th, 2009 at 11:10 pm
The sites you have listed are a great starting point if you are new to SEO. There are a lot of other great blogs like Bruce Clay (covers a lot of search conferences and industry news), Marketing Pilgrim (internet marketing news), and you can also check out my blog, StayOnSearch (SEO, social media, internet strategies, tips and resources)
December 15th, 2009 at 4:10 am
Thank you for compiling and publishing the list. As a search marketing agency we regularly read Search Engine Watch, SEOMOZ, Search Engine Land and Matt Cutts.
We have put together a training manual for our SEO team which we would like to share with folks interested in learning about this exciting field.
December 15th, 2009 at 6:08 am
Thanks for list! I’ve been reading SEO scoop some and that has been a great resource for me. I’ll be checking out the other too.
December 15th, 2009 at 6:57 am
Nice write up. Eli (Bluehat) is certainly dedicated, as you said, to the “Art” of advanced SEO. Sometimes, I read posts, and come back a week later to read them again to see if they make sense yet.
December 15th, 2009 at 9:57 am
Outstanding article, Ritu! Many thanks for sharing.
December 15th, 2009 at 1:33 pm
Thanks for compiling this. SEO is really important when building websites of course, otherwise there’s no point in developing a site, as it’ll just sink to the recesses of the web and never be seen by anyone!
December 15th, 2009 at 7:08 pm
Keep with good work!
December 16th, 2009 at 7:42 am
Hi these are really help full sites for beginner ,i have learn many things form their.Thanks for sharing
December 16th, 2009 at 2:25 pm
The domain can be utilized for developing a community or handshaking platform for Webmasters and Link Builders. The domain can also be utilized by any freelance SEO Professional to create a website providing all services or to publish his/her portfolio. The domain is available for sell. Kindly contact at seosaxena[at]gmail[dot]com if interested.
December 17th, 2009 at 4:35 am
thx for sharing,
Reciprocal Link Checker Link building is very crucial to effective SEO. An easy way of building back links is through reciprocal linking, which is the exchange of links with other webmasters. Not all webmasters you exchange links with will keep your link in their site however, as some of them remove it soon after you exchange links. The more the exchanges you make, the harder it becomes to keep track of the number of reciprocal links you have. This tool enables you to check how many reciprocal links you have and their status with one click.
December 17th, 2009 at 10:32 am
Search Engine Optimisation is all about increasing traffic to your website. It’s benificial for every one who wants increase him websites traffic.
December 23rd, 2009 at 8:02 pm
Great collection! I do follow quite a few from the list, but after reviewing some of the ones I haven’t read before, I think I’m becoming their fan. Thanks for sharing!
December 29th, 2009 at 10:51 am
Thanks for a great article. I’ve been searching for this kind information for a while and had not found it until today. It’s rare to find well written articles like this anymore so I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Thanks again for sharing this information. SEO Tips
January 19th, 2010 at 6:53 am
Excellent article. When people are starting out in SEO it’s difficult to seperate the leaders from the followers. This article will give those budding professionals somewhere to refer to.
January 22nd, 2010 at 3:01 pm
Great list! I’ve been on SEOmoz and I agree it’s an amazing site for finding SEO techniques, I’m going to check out some more on your list right now, thanks.
January 22nd, 2010 at 4:26 pm
This is a great reading. Thanks for sharing this information. We have few readers who would like to read this stuff. We will pass it on to our readers for more feedback. We are dealing with seo firms and would like to get feedback from you too. This is a nice postings indeed. Thanking You. london seo agency ireland seo agency
January 22nd, 2010 at 5:17 pm
This is a great reading. Thanks for sharing this information. We have few readers who would like to read this stuff. We will pass it on to our readers for more feedback. We are dealing with seo firms and would like to get feedback from you too. This is a nice postings indeed. Thanking You. london seo agency ireland seo agencies
January 23rd, 2010 at 12:14 am
I am thankful to you for all these resources. I was wondering for some good sources to get started with SEO, you have resolved this issue.
jhnsmith978January 27th, 2010 at 8:32 am
Yeah, Nice information man..For me too the best place to learn SEO is through looking for forums and blogs because they will give you basic instruction on how to work on SEO. SEO is a very interesting as well as very challenging job which calls for special expertise.. You have given a nice tips for the beginners whoever are interested to go for Search Engine Optimization..
February 3rd, 2010 at 12:05 pm
Really thanks to share this blog all blogs are so informatics thanks again for sharing this info.
February 11th, 2010 at 6:18 am
Very useful article. Thanks to the author of this seo tips.
May 25th, 2010 at 9:31 am
I know lots of this site, but few of them are new to me. Thanks for those new sites.
June 9th, 2010 at 4:21 am
Your post helps people understand the importance of SEO
And also help of me with ur great information. Thanks for sharing
October 21st, 2010 at 4:09 pm
Great list of sites – took me ages to find/stumble across most of those.
They are seriously some of the most authorative SEO sites on the internet.
October 30th, 2010 at 4:43 am
Great list, thanks for sharing..
January 13th, 2011 at 5:34 am
I am greatly thankfull to you for this nice post. It was very interesting and helped me with my own project I am doing. eAnswerNetwork (I) Pvt.Ltd. is a Company which organize the Search Engine Optimization and Web designin.
January 18th, 2011 at 10:08 pm
Great list of informative sites. Worth reading. I consumed at least an hour reading it.
February 23rd, 2011 at 5:12 pm
LotusJump.com is a DIY site that helps you do SEO tasks without spending hours reading books or blogs. We show you where and how to build relevant backlinks. Try us out for free and watch your rankings surge :)
March 18th, 2011 at 8:04 am
great collection but i normally visit the seochat to update myself u missed and few more like seoptimise.
April 19th, 2011 at 4:07 am
Bluehat SEO is a great resource, really great for encouraging you to think outside of the box.
July 13th, 2011 at 6:18 am
Snap is an ITES Solution provider based in india with its eminent
and potent team, which caters clients in level of sure satisfaction.
July 23rd, 2011 at 6:57 am
Great list of really useful sites – Thanks very much!
September 16th, 2011 at 7:47 am
Ritu, you’ve got a great list here. I recently wrote and article featuring many of the blogs but adding a website analysis table to it. The table presents some of the website characteristics of these SEO blogs: http://bit.ly/ojEI3A. Thanks for your list!
September 18th, 2011 at 10:02 am
this is a great list. ill bookmark this. thanks for sharing this ritu
October 2nd, 2011 at 4:05 pm
Been doing SEO for a few years now but it’s always really important to stay up on the latest trends. I follow a couple of these blogs, but gotta check out some of the others. Nice list!!
December 20th, 2011 at 4:30 am
Both of those are such a help I will also add the official Google blog where they are putting recent changes and of course the great videos with Matt who is explaining so descriptively everything.
February 11th, 2012 at 11:08 am
thank you so much to share this great source of information regarding freelancing. Being a freelancer i learn a lot from your great post it is really admirable and important post.
March 24th, 2012 at 8:27 am
15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder I was recommended this website by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You’re incredible! Thanks! your article about 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolderBest Regards Veronica
April 3rd, 2012 at 6:37 am
Awesome, the sites are great, I am great fan of this sites, It is good for beginners as well as for experts, to update them self.
April 25th, 2012 at 5:48 am
Great post. Lots of SEO persons are benefit. Thanks for the article. It will be more and more better if you give some extra.
April 30th, 2012 at 5:32 am
Good. The person who is involving in SEO newly, get lots of advantages. Besides SEO people are getting knowledge from these sites.
April 30th, 2012 at 5:41 am
SEO people need lots of sites. You arrange all the things really in a good way.
May 10th, 2012 at 8:16 am
I got what you mean , appreciate it for putting up.Woh I am pleased to find this website through google.
May 28th, 2012 at 8:40 am
These are really important for SEO people means those who are willing to do SEO.
May 29th, 2012 at 2:01 am
Nice, very nice. This all are important for SEO people. Besides I also suggest my friends to read this.
May 30th, 2012 at 7:37 am
Those blogs are really essential for those who are preparing to enter in SEO world. Besides there are lots of things to learn. Each and every blog is workable. Excellent.
MikeJune 29th, 2012 at 6:48 am
Great list but you may seriously consider including http://www.seosandwitch.com in your list.This blog provides extremely useful information on Seo,SMO and internet marketing.
August 18th, 2012 at 5:38 am
Thanks for sharing the resource!!
September 18th, 2012 at 5:41 am
Great list. There were a couple of new ones, which I will check out!
March 9th, 2013 at 5:32 am
Really good work, Thanks for this.
May 5th, 2013 at 5:09 pm
Good day! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the nice data you will have here on this
post. I shall be coming again to your weblog for extra
June 12th, 2013 at 9:10 am
Whats up! I just would like to give a huge thumbs
up for the nice information you could have right here on
this post. I will probably be coming back to your blog for more
June 21st, 2013 at 6:22 pm
An excellent list Ritu :-) if someone was truly interested in learning (and staying on top of) SEO they would be wise to investigate the bogs on your list… regularly.
July 2nd, 2013 at 5:31 pm
First of all I would like to say fantastic blog!
I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing. I’ve
had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my thoughts
out there. I do take pleasure in writing however it just
seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually lost just trying to figure out how to begin.
Any ideas or hints? Kudos!
September 12th, 2013 at 2:16 am
Great list shared by you Ritu…:) Thanks for sharing such knowledgeable article..!!
November 6th, 2013 at 9:04 pm
I’m extremely inspired together with your writing talents and also with
the format to your weblog. Is this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself?
Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is
rare to look a great blog like this one these days..
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | Red Button Reviews
- uberVU - social comments
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder | work from home business opportunity
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder : seowizards
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder | SEO台灣行銷網
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder | Search engine optimization - SEO - Durban - KZN
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder | All Topics Blog
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder I Search Marketing
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder | Cash For All
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder Search Engine Marketing
- Search engine optimization, Search engine marketing, Search Engine Watch, and more. | Internet Marketing Dispatch
- Search Engine Optimization Tutorials, Techniques, Tricks and Tips » Blog Archive » 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder | SEOProTraffic
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder | SEO News & Views
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder SEO Solutions
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder « SEO-EZ Blog
- SEO – need seo | SEO Mixer Blog
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder « Netcrema – creme de la social news via digg + delicious + stumpleupon + reddit
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder | Search Engine Optimization
- Search Engine Marketing – top 10 search engine marketing | Hyper Affiliate Blog
- links for 2009-12-14 | Digital Rehab
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder « Blogging
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | Blog Mixer
- Freelance Writing Jobs for December 15, 2009 : Freelance Writing Jobs for Web and Print
- Search Engine Marketing – search engine marketing manager | Hyper Affiliate Blog
- SEO – seo report | Know Marketing Blog
- links for 2009-12-16 « Cache 242’s Blog
- 15 Sites For Learning and Mastering Seo | Freelancefolder
- Top Articles On The Web Design Billboard In December’09 | Programming Blog
- Top Articles On The Web Design Billboard In December’09 | meshdairy
- 100+ RSS Feeds for the Reading List of the Well-Rounded Freelancer | Red Button Reviews
- SEO Teknikleri
- Over 50 Free SEO Tools and Much, Much More about Using SEO Techniques | World's Greatest T-Shirt
- 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO « Morgan and Me | Intuitive Design & Strategy
- wp-popular.com » Blog Archive » 15 Sites for Learning and Mastering SEO | FreelanceFolder
- 5 Quick SEO Tips to Help Freelancers Get Higher Search Engine Rankings | Web Site Designers
- Top Articles On The Web Design Billboard In December’09 | Showcases | instantShift
- Free Tools For Freelance Writers: Learning Tools | WritingSpark.com
- SEO Techniques All Top Websites Should Use
- When a Client Can't Afford You: Why It's Still Better to Bid High
- How To Stop Scrambling For Clients And Get A Steady Stream Of Paying Gigs
- A Simple Way To Stop Clients From Rejecting Your Proposals
- 3 Reasons Your Rates Are Still Low (And How To Start Raising Them)