[...] Freelance Folder Presents 20 Not-So-Obvious Blogs for Freelancers [...]…
20 Not-So-Obvious Blogs For Freelancers
Blogs are a great source of information for freelancers and entrepreneurs. They help us become better at what we do, they help us increase our productivity, and they help us leverage different marketing platforms.
We’ve previously published lists of blogs for writers, designers, developers, and entrepreneurs. This time, I want to think outside the box, and take a look at some blogs you might not consider when you think about freelancing.
Here is a list of not-so-obvious blogs that will help you with those less-talked about areas of freelancing. You’ll find some resources that will help you think outside the box, and hopefully take your freelancing business to the next level.
20 Not-So-Obvious Blogs for Freelancers
Here are 20 different blogs that don’t have freelancing as their primary focus, but that do offer very valuable resources for any freelancer or small business owner.
- Seth Godin: I’m sure most of you already know about Seth Godin, and if you don’t, you do now. Seth is one of the most influential marketer/branding experts of all time. His blog provides short but to the point articles on marketing and branding.
- Dan Zarrella: Dan calls himself “The Social Media and Viral Marketing Scientist” and although the title might sound off-putting at first, reading his blog will show you that it is a very appropriate title. This blog is all about analyzing different social media platforms.
- Chris Garrett: Chris Garrett is one of the most influential bloggers, and co-author of the book “ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income.” Chris has been able to build a successful blog and forum, and is someone you would want to listen to when it comes to blogging, new media, and online marketing.
- Social Media Rockstar: As freelancers, it has become necessary for us to participate in different social media platforms to engage clients. This blog provides you with some amazing case studies, tips and interviews with some of the most influential social media users.
- Chris Brogan: If you are active in social media space, you know Chris Brogan. Social Media and Chris Brogan have become synonymous over the past few years. His blog is a must read for anyone trying to build a community around their blog or business. Chris recently released a book called “Trust Agents” along with Julien Smith.
- Zen Habits: If Chris Brogan is synonymous with Social Media, Leo Babauta is synonymous with productivity. As freelancers, we sometimes find hard to manage time and boost our productivity level. Read Zen Habits and follow what Leo has to say, and you will soon find your productivity levels reaching new heights.
- Search Engine Journal: No matter what industry you’re in, your placement in search engines matters. Even if you have no idea about search engine optimization right now, it is never too late to start. Go ahead and read this blog to get your feet wet in this area.
- Persuasive: In order to succeed you need to learn persuasive communication. Persuasive.net is a blog where you will find ways to sharpen your communication skills and learn to be very persuasive.
- The Trump Blog: This is the official blog of the real estate tycoon Donald Trump. Sure, he may not have anything to do with freelancing, but I am sure you will find tips and advice from him that will help you one way or the other. Definitely a person you would want to stand up and listen to.
- Killer Startups: Killer Startups is a user driven internet startup community. Entrepreneurs, investors, and bloggers are all kept informed on up-and-coming internet startups using this platform, where internet entrepreneurs submit their startup and get feedback from visitors and other enrepreneurs.
- The Simple Dollar: If you have been working as a freelancer, you know all about finance problems we sometimes face. The Simple Dollar is the leading blog when it comes to managing personal finances. Learn tons of tips and tricks about money by following this blog.
- Brent Csutoras: This is the personal blog of Brent Csutoras where he talks about SEO, social media and online marketing. You will find everything from case studies to news about new things that are happening in the social media space.
- All Facebook: Can you really afford not to use Facebook? You probably could, but as a freelancer it’s very beneficial to be seen on different platforms, and Facebook surely is one of best. All Facebook, as the name says, is all about Facebook. Learn marketing tricks, news and anything that is related to Facebook.
- SEOmoz: One of the leading blogs on Search Engine Optimization. Besides search engine tips, SEOmoz provides you with many tools that will help you optimize your site for better placement on search engines.
- TwiTip: I am sure almost everyone reading this blog uses twitter (I hope so). Twitter is an amazing networking and marketing tool. TwiTip helps you by providing useful tips and information about how to leverage this platform to your advantage.
- Duct Tape Marketing: If you haven’t been reading or following this blog already, you are missing out on some of the best marketing techniques out there. Duct Tape Marketing talks about marketing strategies that are cheap and effective. You can find useful guides, tools, and other resources to take your marketing to the next level.
- Shoe Money: When it comes to online marketing, ShoeMoney is one of the best blogs there is. Filled with killer tips and tricks, this blog serves as a personal blog to Jeremy Schoemaker, who talks about some of the ways he has been able to utilize the web to make money. A must read if you want to diversify your income.
- Search Engine Land: Search Engine Land is a blog that you certainly don’t want to miss. Get tips and ideas on how you can rank better inn search engines. This site is led by Danny Sullivan who has been covering search for more than 11 years.
- Six Pixels Of Separation: A very thoughtful and engaging blog where Mitch Joel talks about digital marketing, new media and personal branding.
- Gary Vaynerchuck: Gary Vaynerchuck is one of the most influential web celebrities. He is often referred to as the mastodon of social media ;-). Gary shares his insight on marketing, social media and his passion through his blog. A must read.
These are 20 of the not-so-obvious blogs that I find very valuable — but what about you? Please take a moment to share some of your favorite blogs/sites that may not be directly related to freelancing, but provide valuable resources in other related areas.
- Top 100 List Of Make Money at Home Blogs
- 20 Must-Read Blogs for Online Entrepreneurs
- 20 Must-Read Blogs For Freelance Writers
- 20 Must-Read Blogs for Freelance Developers
- 25 Must-Read Blogs for Freelance Designers
Unleash the true potential of your business. Get The Unlimited Freelancer and start transforming your freelance business,
now only $19.
September 7th, 2009 at 4:58 pm
September 7th, 2009 at 5:03 pm
Wow!! I was already following 15 of them.
JulianSeptember 7th, 2009 at 11:34 pm
Great post. Thanks for http://www.persuasive.net/ That’s a new must-read in my RSS Reader.
As for suggestion, I recommend Dan Schawbel’s Personal Branding website – http://www.personalbrandingblog.com/ It’s has a ton of resources on how to control your preofessional image among other things.
September 8th, 2009 at 5:44 am
At a glance, I would say that I’ve heard of at least half the blogs mentioned and see two or three that I have visited from time to time. What I need to do is frequent several of these sites to keep up with all things SEO — you’ve picked some of the industry’s leading minds. Many thanks!
September 8th, 2009 at 7:56 am
This is really great. Thanks for sharing!
MikeSeptember 8th, 2009 at 11:38 am
Thank you for taking the time to share this list. I have followed a few of these blogs and learned some interesting and valueable techniques. As an industry it is important that we share and grow together to improve our economy and display the power of the Internet. I look forward to sharing and learning with you all as our field continues to grow.
Thank you & best,
The Green Marketing Group
September 8th, 2009 at 2:31 pm
It’s always reassuring to see many of the blogs I currently read in this list. It’s also nice to see some that I currently don’t read, which I will take a further look at in the days to come. Thanks again!
September 8th, 2009 at 5:22 pm
Thanks for this list! It’s good to come upon great posts like this from time to time. I am glad to see some of the blogs mentioned that I am currently reading. I will also be adding a few of these blogs to my list as well. Thanks for posting.
September 8th, 2009 at 6:58 pm
Brilliant post! This is just what I was looking for. Thanks a million!
September 9th, 2009 at 5:16 am
Bloggers should really learn from people who offer value and useful info. It’s recommended to read quality proven blogs- not only that you know that you are making worth of your time but also you are aware that you are genuinely learning from the bests.
Thanks for sharing your lists, I usually search for blogs like these to get updated and pick up some info I can easily apply. Good job!ss
September 10th, 2009 at 11:37 am
Whew! Im following 8 of them…
September 15th, 2009 at 10:43 am
I can recommend few more blogs. I hope you will like it…
… and my blog at the end:
September 15th, 2009 at 8:52 pm
Very happy to see that most of these are in my reader :)
March 25th, 2011 at 1:19 pm
Thanks for the great list of blogs. I checked out the Donald Truump blog and it looks pretty cool. Although I don’t really like the way he treats people on the Apprentice, I really admire him. How can you not admire someone that made himself a billionaire – TWICE!.
I gotta agree with you that reading blogs is a great way to learn new skills and a great way to become better at whatever it is that we do. Really appreciate you taking the time to put this list together.
All the best
AsimDecember 30th, 2011 at 3:24 pm
Yea some time you got good information from blogs
jassicaDecember 30th, 2011 at 4:22 pm
I love blogs its helps to expose my feelings
March 10th, 2012 at 7:30 am
An attention-grabbing discussion is worth a comment. I feel that you need to write more on this subject, it might not be a taboo subject however typically people are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers
March 31st, 2012 at 8:15 am
I like this post, enjoyed this one regards for posting .
- Centinnial1997.Com: News & Information » Seo News as of September 7, 2009
- Blogs – video blogs | Know Marketing Blog
- 20 Not-So-Obvious Blogs for Freelancers | Blog Mixer
- This Week’s Articles of Interest « GS Business Resources
- Cognitive Connection September 11 « a.k.a writer
- Talent Versus Skill — Which Leads to Freelancing Success? | Red Button Reviews
- SEO Techniques All Top Websites Should Use
- When a Client Can't Afford You: Why It's Still Better to Bid High
- How To Stop Scrambling For Clients And Get A Steady Stream Of Paying Gigs
- A Simple Way To Stop Clients From Rejecting Your Proposals
- 3 Reasons Your Rates Are Still Low (And How To Start Raising Them)