Nice guide. My problem is being disciplined enough to actually USE my social networks to my advantage. I’m late to the social networking scene (just got on FB a few weeks ago) and it’s just not a natural thing for me to spend loads of time in virtual space on social networks. Twitter is different for me. I can use it effectively for short periods of time and have landed numerous new clients simply by engaging, not selling, on Twitter. I joined Google+ about 2 days ago and still don’t really know what I think of it. It seems like a slicker, shinier version of FB to me.
20 of the Best Google+ Guides and Tutorials to Get Freelancers Up and Running
What? Yet another social networking platform to take up my time and attention?
But it’s from Google–therefore, you can’t lightly brush it off as a flash in the pan. In fact, no sooner had I joined Google+ when I started seeing emails from marketers publicizing their Google+ links so I could follow them.
In my attempt to wrap my brain around Google+ and see how I could use it to reach my freelancing goals, I discovered a number of online guides and tutorials–all free.
Here’s a rundown of some of the best ones I’ve found and why each might be useful to you:
My Picks of the Google+ Guides
Here are my picks from among the many Google+ guides that have been published:
- The Google+ Project. An overview of Google+ and its main features, straight from the people who are creating it.
- How to Get Stated with Google+, Your Complete Guide. A step-by-step guide, including screenshots, of how to join Google+, create your profile, create circles, and manage your settings, among other basics.
- Getting Started with Google Plus. Chris Brogan’s quick-start guide, with screencasts on how to set your privacy settings and start connecting on this new platform.
- How to Use Google Plus. Another beginner’s guide, complete with screenshots. This goes into more detail about sharing photos and how your Google+ account ties into your Google Profile.
- Google’s Latest Social Network: Google Plus. Take a peek at Google+, from one of our favorite social media and tech blogs, Mashable.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Google+. Get started with Google+ in five slides.
- Google+ Tutorial: How to Make the Most Out of Google Plus. Another detailed guide, with the addition of tips on how to maintain a clean stream, stop annoying notifications (unless you want to get even more emails), connecting your other social media accounts, keyboard shortcuts, and more.
- Getting Started with Google+. The techie author shares his first impressions of Google+, including why in some ways it’s better than, gasp, Facebook. Also mentions the Google+ Android app.
- 10 Google+ Tips to Help You Get Off to a Good Start. Additional tips for Google+ newbies.
- How to Use Google+ Sparks. A video tutorial and brief post on how to use a specific feature of Google+, Sparks.
- How to Use Google+ Tutorial (Basics). If video is more your thing, you’ll appreciate this four-minute tutorial.
- Google+ Tutorial. A longer, more detailed video tutorial on Google+.
- A Walkthrough of Google’s New Social Network, Google+. If you’re still undecided about joining Google+, this slideshow may help you make up your mind.
- Google+: A Collaborative Document. Over 100 Google+ users are helping write and develop this Google+ guide. Warning: It’s long. But the hyperlinked table of contents makes it easy to find the information you need.
- Google-Plus Playground. If you do decide to join Google+, check out this post about tools to enhance your experience.
- Getting Started in Google Plus: A Photographer’s Guide. A guide geared specifically for photographers. Includes a list of “Awesome People to Put in Your Photography Circle!”
- Google+ and Freelance Writing. A thoughtful post on how Google+ can potentially change social media marketing for writers.
- Google Plus: A Freelancer’s Best Friend. Lists which features of Google+ would be good for freelancers.
- Google Plus for Freelancers. A brief post on why Google+ has plenty of potential for freelancers.
- What Google+ Could Mean for Freelancers. Encourages freelancers to strike while the iron is hot and create new business for ourselves through this new social network.
If you want to learn what Google+ is all about, how it can benefit you as a freelancer, and how to make the most of its features, the posts and resources above will keep you busy for a couple of hours.
Of course, new resources are being added every day. If your favorite Google+ resource isn’t listed, feel free to link to it in the comments.
Will You Or Not?
Should you join Google+ or not? If you’re the disciplined type who can control the amount of time you spend on social networks, then I’d say go for it.
As with all networking, sometimes the ones who get in early are the ones who benefit the most. I see a similar thing with Google+. If you join now, it’s much easier to get the attention of people who may be potential clients, or who could connect you with potential clients.
Later on, when everybody else is already on board, the noise level will be much like Twitter and Facebook. It will be much more difficult to stand out in the crowd.
That said, don’t feel you’re missing out if you decide not to join yet. Keep focusing on the marketing strategies that are already working for you, and you can’t go wrong. You can always catch up later.
As for me, I’ve set up my profile and have even posted a few notes. I can’t wait to try Sparks. I’m particularly excited about starting a Hang Out. But to tell you the truth, between Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, I just don’t know how I’m going to fit Google+ into my already busy social networking agenda.
How about you? Do you think it presents another huge opportunity for freelancers to find more clients? Or is it yet another dangerous distraction?
I’d love to read your thoughts. Post a comment and let us know what you think.
- Coming Soon From FreelanceFolder — Getting Started Guides
- 4 More New Social Media Trends for Freelancers to Explore
- Top 5 Web App Combos for Running an Online Business
- Did someone beat Google at design
- 25 Tutorials for Advanced Freelance Web Designers
Unleash the true potential of your business. Get The Unlimited Freelancer and start transforming your freelance business,
now only $19.
July 19th, 2011 at 9:27 am
July 19th, 2011 at 9:32 am
you have put all Google + information at one palace which is indeed a brilliant efforts by you. Now i can learn deeply Google + at one go.
July 19th, 2011 at 11:34 am
Interesting! Just what we need another social media network. May be worth it though since it is Google.
July 19th, 2011 at 11:39 am
There was a related post on borowitzreport today (which also mentions Google +) for those who are interested in a detailed, in-depth analysis of the social network phenomenon.
July 19th, 2011 at 11:50 am
Thanks for including my post from Social Media Examiner in this great list! :)
July 19th, 2011 at 3:05 pm
It’s amazing how fast this material is produced. I haven’t looked yet, but I’m willing to bet people are already selling “how to make it on +” books. Thanks for the free material, though!
July 19th, 2011 at 11:42 pm
Thanks Lexi for including my post about Google+ ( #18 on your list ). I’m having a blast using the site myself and I’m still finding my way around, like everyone else. Are you using that site? Would love to add you in my circles. -Marissa
July 20th, 2011 at 12:39 am
It’s interesting that there are guides and articles written about Google+ for freelancers. Thanks for sharing these links Lexi! :)
July 20th, 2011 at 1:21 am
Google+ is launched recently and such a huge list of guides and tutorials….Interesting.
Thanks for sharing:)
July 20th, 2011 at 9:13 am
I was like you at first….do I REALLY need another social networking site? But I decided to give it a try. I can definitely see how powerful of a tool this will be and am looking forward to the growth of community!
July 20th, 2011 at 12:33 pm
Great list! Thanks for including my tutorial from Find All Answers. I enjoyed reading the others.
July 21st, 2011 at 1:11 am
Google + for freelancers? Awesome. I’m a freelance web designer myself and would like to how how this Google app can help me. Thanks for the share!
July 21st, 2011 at 9:42 am
I think you forgot to mention about Decorating Google+ Plus tutorial written @ http://www.nichewp.com/decorate-google-google-plus-profile.html
July 21st, 2011 at 12:26 pm
Yay!! Thanks for taking some of the research time out of this. I just hopped on board a week ago and need to figure the hole thing out.
July 21st, 2011 at 12:28 pm
OMG-typo alert-please change that to WHOLE -although the time suck of all these social media platforms probably are a sink hole. :-D
July 22nd, 2011 at 1:36 pm
Great list here. It is amazing to see all the buzz around Google Plus. Lexi, I appreciate your balanced advice here, for many to hang tight and maximize existing networks. Do you thing Google has enough of something here to be a real challenger to Facebook a year or so from now?
July 25th, 2011 at 6:48 am
I have to say that for the past couple of hours i have been hooked by the amazing articles on this blog .
July 26th, 2011 at 4:58 am
Thanks for a great list of guides. I’m looking forward to trying out Google+ as soon as they make it compatible with apps.
July 29th, 2011 at 3:27 am
..Chris Brogans Facebook avatar announcing he has moved to Google Plus..Chris Brogan in fact ..My first reaction weeks ago to all this Facebook vs. To each their own which implies that some will stay on Facebook while others follow like lemmings to G or perhaps find usefulness for themselves there without jumping on the Geek King and Queen bandwagons..Honestly theres a lot to like about Google .
August 2nd, 2011 at 5:41 pm
I’ve started two separate accounts for my blog and one for personal folks like family. It looks great for the Hangouts too.
January 5th, 2012 at 2:27 am
It seems you have a very popular blog! congrats
March 6th, 2012 at 7:36 am
Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of 20 of the Best Google+ Guides and Tutorials to Get Freelancers Up and Running | FreelanceFolder . Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.
February 27th, 2013 at 7:15 pm
I am just starting out with Google+ and finding your article and posts is like finding gold nuggets. There is many hours of discovery here. Thank you many times over. I am now off to the Savvy Freelancer Blog.
September 4th, 2013 at 5:09 am
thanks for this great article
- 20 of the Best Google+ Guides and Tutorials to Get Freelancers Up and Running | FreelanceFolder | The Google+ Project | Scoop.it
- 20 of the Best Google+ Guides and Tutorials to Get Freelancers Up and Running | FreelanceFolder | Mindfulsouls's Blog
- Getting the Best out of Google +
- Are you using Google+? - Virtual Assistant Forums | Virtual Assistant Resources
- Blog Post Roundup: Google+ Guides | The Work at Home Wife
- 20 of the Best Google+ Guides and Tutorials to Get Freelancers Up and Running | FreelanceFolder | Google+ Guide | Scoop.it
- 20 of the Best Google+ Guides and Tutorials to Get Freelancers Up and Running | 207
- Great list of Google+ tutorials here:
- 20 of the Best Google+ Guides and Tutorials | Accounting and Small Business /Beverly Shares
- Do You Know Why? - Personal Finance Round-Up
- Catching Up with Google+ « Design Doc
- Google Plus + resources library « disocialmedia
- Why You Need To Get Active On Google+ Now
- Apt No.7 » What’s So Exciting About Google+ – An Overview
- Helpful G+ resources and recommended reading | idhairya
- Hot Google+ Tips for Freelancers | World's Greatest T-Shirt
- Hot Google+ Tips for Freelancers | Freelancing Help
- Hot Google+ Tips for Freelancers – Your online guide for finding a job
- Google+ Resources for Business | Chaos To Clarity™
- 10 Great Blog Posts for Freelance Writers to Read | Chicwriter | Chicwriter
- 6 People Freelancers Meet on Social Media
- 20+ Helpful Google+ Brand Page Resources for Freelancers
- 20+ Helpful Google+ Brand Page Resources for Freelancers | Freelancing Help
- What’s So Exciting About Google+ – An Overview | The Social-IST
- What’s So Exciting About Google+ – An Overview | Winners Academy
- Moving in the Right Circles with Google Plus | Savvy Marketers
- SEO Techniques All Top Websites Should Use
- When a Client Can't Afford You: Why It's Still Better to Bid High
- How To Stop Scrambling For Clients And Get A Steady Stream Of Paying Gigs
- A Simple Way To Stop Clients From Rejecting Your Proposals
- 3 Reasons Your Rates Are Still Low (And How To Start Raising Them)