Here at Freelance Folder we’ve shared a lot of blog resources that are relevant to freelancers. That’s because we believe that there’s a lot of good information out there and we want you to know about it.
However, it’s been a while since we’ve published our last list of blogs, so I decided it was time to compile another list. This time, however, I wanted feedback directly from the freelancing community, so I asked my Twitter community to share their favorite blog resources. This post is the result.
Here are the must-read writing blogs that the freelancing community selected:
- About Freelance Writing. In addition to freelance writing advice, Anne regularly lists freelance writing job opportunities.
- All Freelance Writing. This site is more than a blog. Rather, it’s more like a hub for all things related to freelance writing.
- Copyblogger. The team here competently covers what you need to know about commercial writing, particularly as it relates to the Internet.
- Dollars and Deadlines. Here’s a good place to find writing tips, advice, and other writing tidbits. This is from a seasoned freelance writing veteran.
- George Angus. A great blog with both nonfiction and fiction materials on it. If you like creative writing, check it out.
- Get Paid to Write Online. Here’s where you can get solid freelance writing advice from a solid, experienced writer.
- Ghostwriter Dad . What is ghostwriting anyway? Have you ever wondered? (Hint, it has nothing to do with ghosts and everything to do with writing.) You can find out here.
- Keyboardhussy.com. “Evelyn Lafont” is the keyboard hussy and she’s ready to share her opinions on nearly everything that had to do with writing and publishing.
- Make a Living Writing. This practical blog from Carol Tice delivers on the promise made by its name.
- Men with Pens. If you wanted to learn about writing AND be entertained, this straight-shooting blog is for you.
- The Renegade Writer. Another great blog about freelance writing with lots of practical advice.
- thursdaybram.com. Interesting information that is relevant to freelancers and the business side of freelancing and writing.
- Words on the Page. Lori Widmer shares her frustrations and experiences in a way that will seem familiar to nearly every writer.
Here are the must-read translation blogs that the freelancing community selected:
- Algo más que traducir. A Spanish language blog that discusses professional translation, the localization of video games, and translation technologies.
- Global2Local. This blog contains many great posts from Grace Bosworth about globalization issues. (Blog is in English.)
- Localisation and testing with Curri. Interesting blog from a freelance translator with gaming background. (Blog is in English, but there is a Spanish language version as well.)
- The Translator’s Teacup. Another great newsy blog packed with information for professional translators. (Blog is in English.)
- Transliteria. This popular blog about translation covers a lot of the issues that translators face. (Blog is in English.)
Here are the must-read freelancing/business blogs (and resources) that the freelancing community selected:
- Anklebuster. I must say that I had a bit of trouble classifying this one. It’s not really a blog, but rather a resource aggregator with links to the author’s posts and various tools.
- BigBrightBulb. If you own a small business, this blog was written for you. It’s designed to help small business owners.
- Dr. Freelance®. This blog offers an “advice column” for freelancers and aspiring freelancers. There’s plenty of good information for everyone.
- IttyBiz. For unique marketing insights, engaging writing, and more–turn to this blog, which especially geared to small businesses.
Here are the must-read blogs about blogging that the freelancing community selected:
- kikolani.com. This well-loved blog does a good job of covering exactly what you need to know about blogging and social networking.
- Problogger. The premiere how-to blog about blogging for newbies and serious bloggers.
- BasicBlogTips. An engaging blog about blogging. The blog also covers social media concerns.
Here is the must-read social media/community blog that the freelancing community selected:
- Kommein. This eclectic blog contains a wide variety of interesting information from a professional blogger and community manager.
Here are the must-read blogs and resources that provide inspiration to the freelancing community:
- drawar.com. An invitation-only community for professional designers.
- YoungHouseLove.com. This blog discusses design. Not web design. Not even graphic design, but rather–interior design.
- zenhabits. Great blog filled with posts designed to help you live a simpler, more productive lifestyle.
Thanks to My Freelancing Community
A special thanks to those tweeting freelancers who answered my tweet and shared their must-read blogs:
Share Your Favorites
Did you miss seeing your must-read blog on the list?
It’s okay–even if you missed my initial tweet you can still participate. Just list your must-read blogs in the comments (no spam or advertisements please).
I’d love it if this post would become a must-read resource for freelancers looking for good information, but it won’t be complete without your additions to the list.
Image by Angela Layana