This is an excellent list, Ritu! I frequent many of the sites here, but you’ve pointed out quite a few that I have not heard of, so thank you!
30 Sites Every Freelancer Should Visit and Utilize
Posted June 4, 2009 in Tools/Resources
Freelancers are constantly searching for new resources. Sometimes these resources come in the form of browser plugins and other times as online tools to help us become more productive. There are countless tools, plugins, blogs, social networking sites and other resources out there that can be beneficial to freelancers.
You probably already know of a lot of these resources, but some of the quality ones may be hiding from you. Below you will find 30 sites (blogs, forums, and job boards) that I regularly use. Although there are more that I subscribe to, these are some that just can’t be missed.
Useful Blogs For Freelancers
- FreelanceFolder – Jon C. Phillips, an amazing web designer is the founder of Freelancer Folder. It was later bought by Mason Hipp who is the current owner. Under Mason’s watch freelance folder has grown to be one of the top blogs in this particular niche. With 13,000 plus subscribers, Freelance Folder is definitely a blog you want to add to your feed reader (most of you already have –)
- FreelanceSwitch — Freelance Switch is a part of the envato network. If you are looking for advice on freelancing, this is one blog that you want to add to your feed reader as soon as possible.
- Freelance-Zone – Freelance-Zone has been around since 2002 serving the needs of freelancers. A site that has survived until now is certainly worth freelancer’s attention.
- 43Folders — This blog has been around since 2004. Merlin Mann, the owner and writer talks about finding time and ways to do your best creative work. This is certainly one of the best blogs a freelancer can subscribe to.
- WakeUpLater — The joy of freelancing is working when you want, where you want. Wake Up Later will help you gain some insight in that field. You can find freelancing advice, free stuff for freelancers and other tips and tricks.
- Problogger – Everyone that is active in the blogosphere knows Darren Rowse. One of the first person who became a full time blogger, inspiring many others. If you are looking for some advice on how to become a full time blogger or an effective freelancer, Problogger offers some of the best tips that are out there.
- SmashingMagazine – If you are pursuing your freelance career in designing, Smashing Magazine is your source for inspiration and ideas. This blog features designs and lists that are simply too amazing to be ignored. If you are a designer and have yet to check this blog out, trust me, you are missing on something really good.
- TheSimpleDollar – Sure, it’s a finance blog. But thesimpledollar shares some of the tips that applies to us not just as individuals but as freelancers as well. Get your finances on track and subscribe to thesimpledollar.
- Noupe – One of the fastest growing blogs and very popular among designers, Noupe offers insight and articles that cater to designers and web-developers.
- MenWithPens – One of the best blogs for writers and freelancers. Men With Pens ranks no.2 among best blogs for writers. If you are a writer and plan on boosting your freelancing career in writing, these men have got all the advice that will help you become a top writer and an effective freelancer.
Forums For Freelancers
- TalkFreelance – One of the popular forums among freelancers that has many segments allowing freelancers to discuss different aspects of freelancing.
- FreelanceLounge – Another useful forum for freelancers to discuss freelancing topics and participate in discussions related to their field.
- Freelance UK Forum – Pretty popular forum. Although this is a UK forum, since most freelance work happens over the web, location doesn’t really matter. This forum has topics on a wide variety of freelance topics. Go ahead and participate.
- eLanceTalk – A forum for freelancers that is mostly dedicated to design, SEO and hosting along with other freelancing topics.
- FreelanceSwitch Forum – A very popular forum among designers and web developers but also caters to other freelancing topics. This forum as you can imagine is a part of FreelanceSwitch.
- FreelanceFolder Forum – A forum mostly utilized by the FreelanceFolder community. It’s simple, basic and has only 3 topics related to freelancing which I think covers almost everything.
- FreelanceWriting Forum — Part of Freelancewriting and mostly focuses on the writers community and topics related to freelance writers.
- WhyDoWork – A very popular forum with over 38,000 members. The forum is basically for people who work from home and most freelancers do just that. A great resource and community to be a part of.
- LogoPond – A very active forum that mainly focuses on designers.
- WritersForum – If you are a writer and want to get into freelancing, this forum will certainly cater to your need for discussion and answers to any questions you might have.
Job Boards For Freelancers
- Guru – One of the world’s largest online marketplace for freelance talent.
- Elance – Outsourcing to freelancers.
- GetAFreelancer – For freelance programmers and designers.
- AllFreelanceWork – Jobs for freelancers and contract workers.
- iFreelance – Find or post freelance jobs.
- Sologig – Get connected with freelance, consulting, and contract jobs.
- NoAgenciesPlease – A fee free direct recruitment service for new media freelancers.
- GoFreelance – This site provides you with thousands of freelance gigs to choose from.
- FreelanceJobSearch – The name says it all, a place for you to search freelance jobs.
- GetaCoder – A freelance job site for programmers, coder, web developers, etc.
There are numerous other great resources for freelancers and this is not an extensive list at all. Please share some of the resources you know of (blogs, forums, job boards, articles) that might help a fellow freelancer out.
- 10 SEO Techniques All Top Web Sites Should Use
- 15 Key Elements All Top Web Sites Should Have
- 16 Tutorial And Resource Sites For Web-Design And Web-Dev Addicts
- 25 Sites to Find Good Free Vector Files
Unleash the true potential of your business. Get The Unlimited Freelancer and start transforming your freelance business,
now only $19.
June 4th, 2009 at 10:26 am
June 4th, 2009 at 10:28 am
A nice list to add to my bookmarks there, Thanks!
creeFrJune 4th, 2009 at 10:32 am
A few additional communities and blogs can also be found at http://freelancercrowd.com/links/communities.html
June 4th, 2009 at 10:52 am
What great information!! I’ve book marked the sites I want to go back to. Thanks!!
June 4th, 2009 at 11:21 am
Thanks for the resources.
Problogger is the first blog I came to know when I started my blogging. This post surely helps me to know more related resources.
June 4th, 2009 at 12:10 pm
Excellent list! Don’t forget Blellow! We launched in April at SxSW and have a wonderful community of creative and tech freelancers and entrepreneurs! Blellow is a social network (forum), blog, and has jobs and projects boards to boot. :) http://www.blellow.com
June 4th, 2009 at 12:17 pm
Great list. The Freelance Zone’s RSS feed however, is a dud. Pity, I was going to subscribe to their blog.
June 4th, 2009 at 1:16 pm
Great list! I didn’t knew your site, however it is fascinating. What I’d like to put on the job board list is the good ol’ RentACoder.com It’s one of the oldest job board out there, I think.
Ps: You just got another RSS subscriber :P
June 4th, 2009 at 2:20 pm
Woot! Thanks for the mention, Ritu, and thanks for pointing out a couple of sites that I should check out!
June 4th, 2009 at 2:49 pm
Thanks Ritu :) I found their Feed Burner Feed in their left hand side-bar in the meantime.
June 4th, 2009 at 4:38 pm
Great list of sites. Some I have, many I don’t and will be adding to my bookmarks. Thanks for taking the time to pull together and share these resources!
June 4th, 2009 at 6:07 pm
Whoa! Some very cool websites there! Really useful resource,
thanks for sharing!
June 4th, 2009 at 7:21 pm
Great list, thanks! I’m going to check out the Job Boards for sure, always nice to have new ones in my arsenal.
June 4th, 2009 at 9:33 pm
Great list, I follow many of these but have found some new ones. Thanks!
June 4th, 2009 at 9:51 pm
nice list. A couple of the forums I hadn’t known about. Subscribed to all of the blogs already :)
June 5th, 2009 at 1:46 am
This is a great list. I always wanted to find a list like this.Thanks
June 5th, 2009 at 4:23 am
A good list! will take a look at some of them
June 5th, 2009 at 9:13 am
WebWorkerDaily.com (disclaimer: I write for ‘em)
June 5th, 2009 at 10:20 am
Love this information. Thank you for taking the time to put it together.
I thought it was so important, I included a post about your information — you can read it here . . .
June 5th, 2009 at 11:48 am
Again, another fabulous list. I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog, wish I was 1/3 the blogger you are!
RayJune 6th, 2009 at 1:43 am
WebAppers is a great source of free web resources for freelancer as well.
June 6th, 2009 at 4:20 pm
June 6th, 2009 at 10:03 pm
Great list thank you. Lots of new resources for me in there
June 7th, 2009 at 12:56 am
Wow, very complete and solid list. Several I hadn’t heard of on there.
June 10th, 2009 at 9:54 pm
Really great and informative sites for me. Some I’ve visited before, some are new to me.
June 12th, 2009 at 8:56 am
Excellent! Thanks for sharing. I’ve added them to my bookmarks to read and filter them later.
June 12th, 2009 at 8:00 pm
I’m bookmarking this for tomorrow’s morning cuppa. I know some of those sites, so I bet the others will be good’uns too!
June 16th, 2009 at 3:40 am
Great links! I’m subscribed to most of the freelancing blogs. Not so much on the freelance forums though.
KatUSJune 17th, 2009 at 3:46 pm
I saw an ad of LimeExchange.com running on freelance folder, u missed that? I have been using it for a while, looks good to me.
June 26th, 2009 at 7:38 am
I have read your blog and links, they are really nice and I appreciate it, your efforts are marvelous and outstanding. you have a great resource of freelancers.
July 13th, 2009 at 1:12 am
I think , in the list http://www.ezdia.com is missing
eZdia allows you to create your own knowledge library from the community you build of trusted experts and recommended sources. Search, Learn, Create, and Teach with the eZdia Platform. eZdia will change the way you interact and gain knowledge. …
July 13th, 2009 at 7:10 am
Nice and really beneficial post for freelancers, I think you can also include mturk.com in your freelancer site list.
August 14th, 2009 at 2:00 am
I just bookmarked yours’ 20 must read blogs,now I bookmarked this post.
August 18th, 2009 at 4:52 am
Great List :)
ConsultGenie.com is another site you can add to your list.
ConsultGenie is an online marketplace where enterprises from all industries and of all sizes can find and hire qualified, tested and rated consultants and temporary staff (Providers). If you’re looking for a Provider just search and select on this portal.
For some interesting articles go to :http://consultgenie.wordpress.com
Ventsislav TomevSeptember 22nd, 2009 at 3:28 pm
Wow great list. You can also try http://www.freelance-jobs-now.com for a lot of freelance projects from various freelance sites.
October 29th, 2009 at 8:30 am
Thank you, I´ve searched for a list of such sites. Fo me as a german freelancer it´s very important to get informations from international sources.
November 10th, 2009 at 5:15 am
Another freelancing site is eZdia which asks you to post your resume and you have employers seeking you for their projects. You get the job based on your skills. If you meet the requirements you will certainly get jobs on eZdia .
It allows employers to communicate with potential employers via a chat. A skype plugin has also been added to felicitate communication. Thus You can say , eZdia has brought in a change in freelancing never seen before.
November 17th, 2009 at 12:48 am
great post, my fav would be this site, freelanceswitch and logopond. how about craigslist?
March 8th, 2010 at 7:19 pm
Thank you very much for this collection. Really helpfull stuff.
pawanJune 18th, 2010 at 1:50 pm
you can also check resources are http://rapidop.com
July 8th, 2010 at 9:55 pm
Good tutorial to understand the different overlays.
October 6th, 2010 at 5:28 pm
Thank you for this excellent list. I love how open and sharing the freelance community is.
The FreelanceUK website provides some great information. It answered all my questions and informed me of things I had not even considered.
October 25th, 2010 at 5:05 pm
nails art design
November 12th, 2010 at 4:34 pm
Nice collection and very helpful. I hope to read more of this in the Future.
Greetz from Germany,
November 25th, 2010 at 2:26 am
Great collections, its really helpful to freelancer and get more information about your blogs, thanks for your sharing.
December 12th, 2010 at 7:49 am
Thanks for the list, I read some these blogs, but there are so much more that I didn’t know about
May 20th, 2011 at 4:51 pm
The list with the job boards is particularly useful for me, thanks!
December 28th, 2011 at 6:04 am
Thanks Ritu I’m a newbie in Freelancing so it is a great help for me.
January 13th, 2012 at 7:40 am
Most of the freelance site pay later upon completion. But gig sites pays upfront and amount is fixed. There are some sites that offer flexible price ranges. Users are free to set a price for their service.
March 10th, 2012 at 7:24 am
That is a great point to bring up. Thanks for the post.
Danai PanagiwtopoulouMarch 19th, 2012 at 5:46 am
Hey! Great list.. I love the way you categorized the sites.. But i think you should add http://www.peopleperhour.com to the list of Job Boards for Freelancers..
JuanchiMarch 23rd, 2012 at 12:43 am
Thank you for your information, It was very very useful to me!
Danai PanagiwtopoulouMarch 28th, 2012 at 4:59 am
Hey! You missed one.. http://www.peopleperhour.com! Thanks for the great list..
April 9th, 2012 at 8:18 am
May I simply say such a alleviation to search out person who actually knows just what they may be sharing on the internet. You actually get experience to bring an issue to light and make it significant. Even more people need to learn it and understand it all aspect of the story. I can’t believe you aren’t very popular as you really have the gift.
May 3rd, 2012 at 8:26 am
Would you be curious about exchanging hyperlinks?
May 8th, 2012 at 8:33 am
ilRUuKKAcsVmjxZF [url=http://www.toryburchs-outleteshops.com]tory burch reva[/url] NyLTfIFw
zUVHDiBHJfq [url=http://www.toryburchs-outleteshops.com]tory burch shoes[/url] EEzhmA
xvtghZK [url=http://www.toryburchs-outleteshops.com]tory burch outlet[/url] dAnhoOPoezXHCojgzLq
May 11th, 2012 at 8:14 am
for supreme comfort. You can also select from a wide range of pumps and wedges which are suitableladies. Tory Burch handbags are available in a number of different shapes, sizes and colors. Theseindividual no cost, you not alone is thus easy, and pretty self-assured. mild shade, downydidn fell in love with it .And this definitely not the end of this story ,the to be continue partjackanapes horseshoe and even Pricing is unremarkably A quite an significant agent . Most people [url=http://www.toryburchs-outletsales.com ]tory burch outlet[/url] area to combine equally the traditional sorts to arrive up making use of just 1 specific making useproduct categories, including ready-to-wear, handbags, shoes and jewelry. Going against theBurch Sally Leopard Print Wedge Leopard.she was generally been observed to wore Tory Burch Sallystyle with their outfits and accessories? The house of Tory Burch Bags may see this situation, so acircumstance might be a little different when you have Tory Burch on your own listing. Tory Burch,
May 15th, 2012 at 3:05 am
Check out worknhire.com , India’s first freelancing website, specially targeted for indian freelancers.
May 17th, 2012 at 9:03 am
zEdWdRhoPvVK [url=http://www.toryburch2012sales.com]tory burch outlet[/url] pYieTFPsDy
AddgNzEyAiqRZsw [url=http://www.toryburch2012sales.com]tory burch shoes[/url] JkYTnkt
MnDGRGb [url=http://www.toryburch2012sales.com]tory burch handbags[/url] XpJzohdYNEUGdbRcOF
May 19th, 2012 at 9:19 am
ZHmuGN [url=http://www.christianlouboutinoutleteshop.com]Christian Louboutin shoes[/url] BkUFvgPiyQeZygRB
May 27th, 2012 at 8:11 am
YwsxdX [url=http://www.mbtshoes2012salesuk.com]MBT Shoes[/url] psvYPuPku
June 19th, 2012 at 4:43 am
There are many marketplace around for business owners and freelancers. You must choose the right one for successful freelancing and business using freelancers. Thanks for sharing this resources that will be helpful for freelance job seekers.
June 27th, 2012 at 2:45 pm
Really very nice list.
MargeJune 29th, 2012 at 7:56 am
I have bookmarked your page! Thanks! And yeah where is odesk?? And also staff.com, you should check them out!
July 24th, 2012 at 12:11 pm
Hi all, I will like to introduce everyone to freelance domain marketplace, it’s a freelance jobs marketplace where service buyers post jobs that they need to be done and freelancers submit bids to win the job. It’s totally free to post jobs. Our services include web designing, programming, writing, translation, software development, engineering, seo, marketing, advertising, copywriting, proofreading, data entry and more
July 25th, 2012 at 7:17 am
As a Beginner I want to know where i can get the International IT projects.I already know some websites like freelancer,elance,odesk,etc
Kindly send give me some more info about freelance type of sites.
samAugust 3rd, 2012 at 7:31 am
Great Information for freelancers…
There are also some clones of Fiverr which freelancers can use to make money.
But need to be careful as some of them dont pay properly or delay the payments.
One site which I have seen really good and which allows the buyers to pay the sellers directly before the job is done is http://WWW.ZEERK.COM.
Here you can provide any service from $2 to $100 and you get paid before you start the work !!
So dont have to worry about payments and getting scammed.
FREE to list services and gigs
NO commissions charged
GET PAID before you start to work.
Isnt that incredible !!
albert lewisAugust 15th, 2012 at 3:42 am
Hi Guys ,
I try http://www.vscriptlance.com I think it is the world best freelancer site for get the work done Gaurenteed , one thing i like best about site is after work done if employeer is little bit dissatisfy they get there money back. and lot of project aviable of highest and lowest budget, os i think witout trying no body can guess it simplicity
try it very less commision on project in compare to other site
JasonSeptember 4th, 2012 at 5:57 am
Guys i have found a website http://www.rinovi.com
October 20th, 2012 at 6:33 pm
Check this site too.. iFreelancer.com
November 3rd, 2012 at 4:58 am
Excellent list .. Thanks for sharing
November 8th, 2012 at 5:47 am
I really appreciate this valuable information shared by freelancefolder community.
December 17th, 2012 at 7:35 am
very informative article brother, really liked the list of the forums for freelancers because I was searching this type of list. But when I look at the list of job boards then I think freelancer.com can also be added into this list, but also want to know why you don’t added this job boards in your list?
WesleyFebruary 5th, 2013 at 10:59 am
Hi guys I`m logo maker and i started to advertise on one of those freelance marketplace websites where you can buy cheap logos and other stuff.Check it out.
March 7th, 2013 at 12:22 am
Thank you for any other informative site. Where else may I am getting that type of info written
in such a perfect method? I have a undertaking that I’m simply now running on, and I have been at the look out for such info.
May 14th, 2013 at 7:06 am
of course like your web-site however you need to test the spelling
on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling
issues and I to find it very bothersome to inform the truth nevertheless I will surely come back again.
May 14th, 2013 at 10:42 pm
Ayurvedic Travel TipsWhat timing – Yoga Journal sent a email today featuring in-flight Ayurvedic beauty tips.
- 30 Sites Every Freelancer Should Visit and Utilize | Freelance Folder « Netcrema - creme de la social news via digg + delicious + stumpleupon + reddit
- popurls.com // popular today
- 30 Sites Every Freelancer Should Visit and Utilize | Freelance Folder
- Daily Links | AndySowards.com :: Professional Web Design, Development, Programming, Hacks, Downloads, Math and being a Web 2.0 Hipster?
- 30 Sites Every Freelancer Should Visit and Utilize | Design Newz
- Some Posts I read today - Roger Stringer
- justbecos I like them: issue #2 » justbecos.com
- Fresh Links for my followers =) « Adrian Zyzik’s Weblog
- SDuffyPhotography.blog » Blog Archive » Friday Link Love - 06/05/09
- Writing Roundup, June 5 « Jen’s Writing Journey
- links for 2009-06-05 « Minesa IT
- Sweet Tweets: Design Tweets of the Week #3 | The Design Cubicle
- My Favorite Design Links of the Week | eGrace Creative Web Solutions
- Weekly Web Roundup: Freelance Edition #3 | Hi, I'm Grace Smith
- Best of the Rest: June 1st through June 9th | creative.tjhole.com
- Tuesday, June 9, 2009 | shiner.clay
- Link Love For June 12, 2009 | Passwater dot Com
- (Anti) Social-Lists 6/14/09 | (Anti) Social Development
- 5 Best Job Boards For Freelancers | Technofriends
- links for 2009-06-15 on studiowhiz.com
- Periodico Blogs | Periodico Blogs
- Como tener blog, generar ingresos y no morir en el Intento | Carlos Navarro
- Writing Roundup, June 5 « Uncategorized « Jen's Writing Journey
Sign up for our product discount list to get a free copy of Why Some Freelancers Thrive and Others Barely Survive. You can unsubscribe anytime.
- SEO Techniques All Top Websites Should Use
- When a Client Can't Afford You: Why It's Still Better to Bid High
- How To Stop Scrambling For Clients And Get A Steady Stream Of Paying Gigs
- A Simple Way To Stop Clients From Rejecting Your Proposals
- 3 Reasons Your Rates Are Still Low (And How To Start Raising Them)