9 Ways to Celebrate Success
Posted October 13, 2010 in Inspiration, Lifestyle
Sometimes we freelancers get so caught up in trying to achieve our long term goals, we forget to recognize our own successes.
One of my early posts for this blog was Let’s Party! Why Celebrating Success Can Be The Key To Your Business’s Future. In it, I list five great ways for freelancers to celebrate their achievements.
Over two years later, I’m still convinced that celebrating the business successes along the way to our long term goals is critical to protect freelancers from freelancing burnout. Remember, as a freelancer you’re self employed. No boss is going to come along and recognize you for your extra hard work or your exceptional achievements. It’s up to you to take care of this aspect of business.
With that in mind, I’ve decided to list nine more ways that freelancers can celebrate their successes. At the end, why don’t you share how you celebrate your successes?
9 Success Celebrations
Freelancing is stressful. To tell you the truth, sometimes I get stressed even reading posts about freelancing. There’s always something I’m not doing or something that I could be doing better.
It doesn’t help that many freelancing “gurus” seem to be proud of working extra long hours for days on end. The implication seems to be that freelancing is “tough,” so long hours are unavoidable if you want to be successful. In fact, according to this school of thought, the longer the hours, the more successful the freelancer. (Personally, I’m not of the “tough” success school. Freelancing isn’t free money and there’s definitely work involved. Sometimes that work is hard, but it’s possible to succeed at freelancing without giving up the rest of your life.)
That’s all the more reason why, when we freelancers do something right or accomplish something we’re proud of we should take the time to celebrate. A finished project could be celebration worthy. Taking your business a new direction might also merit a celebration. It doesn’t have to be a big lavish celebration (unless, of course, you want it to be). Often, a mini celebration is enough.
Here are nine of my favorite ways to celebrate my freelancing successes:
- Sleep in. As a freelancer, you would think that I could sleep in every day if I wanted to. But, the truth is that, between freelance responsibilities and personal responsibilities, I rarely get the chance. When I do sleep in, it’s a real treat.
- Read a good book. I love to read, so reading is a great reward for me. It’s especially relaxing to get caught up in a novel that has absolutely nothing to do with work. (If you can’t afford to buy a book, remember the library.)
- Visit with friends. Time spent with family or friends can be a great way of relaxing. And, even though networking is a great business practice, give yourself a break and allow yourself some network free time with those you care about.
- Travel. If you can get away, even for a few days, the change of scenery and surroundings can renew you. You don’t have to go far. Often, spending some time just a few hours away is enough. Don’t bring work.
- Spa day. Indulge yourself and spend a day relaxing and pampering yourself at the spa. (If a spa day doesn’t quite fit your budget, you may be able to simulate a spa experience at home with a warm tub and some candles.)
- Gym day. Spend a fitness day at your local gym. Sign up for the aerobics class you’ve always wanted to take. Swim laps in the pool. Use the sauna or steam room. Challenge a friend to a lively game of racquetball.
- Treat yourself to dinner and a movie. Make reservations at that new restaurant in town that you’ve been wanting to try. Follow the meal with a stop at the local movie theater to see that new film starring your favorite actor.
- Go to the park. One of my favorite things to do is snapping photographs of flowers and plants in a local park. Regardless of whether you enjoy photography, getting outdoors and getting fresh air is bound to be a treat.
- Go shopping. I almost hesitate to add this one, because not everyone finds shopping to be a treat. For some it is stressful. However, if you are one of those who can relax through shopping set yourself a budget and just go.
How Do You Relax?
I’ve shared nine ways that I’ve used to celebrate those little successes that make up your freelancing journey.
How do you celebrate your freelancing successes?
Image by Muffet
- Let’s Party! Why Celebrating Success Can Be The Key To Your Business’s Future
- Freelance Folder Turns One – Let’s Celebrate This With A Contest (Our Very First)
- The Simple Truth About Success
- Six Foundations of Freelance Success
- Finding Success Through Your Strengths