You’re committed to your freelancing business. You spend hours each day working on projects. You market your business diligently. You invest your money in software, hardware, and other business assets.
You do all of this for your business, yet you overlook one very important business asset–your health.
If you’re not careful, your freelancing lifestyle may lead to some pretty unhealthy habits such as not eating right and not exercising. Freelancing can also cause stress, which may lead to sleep problems.
Staying fit is a real struggle for many people, and freelancers are no different.
Fortunately, there are some apps that we can turn to in order to improve our health. In this post, I list 12 apps designed to help you live a healthier lifestyle.
If you liked this post, you may also like Beware These Freelancer Health Hazards.
12 Healthy Apps to Explore
Are you ready to start improving your health? Use one or more of these useful apps to stay in shape.
Here are the 12 free healthy apps to help you get started with your fitness plan (in alphabetical order):
- BikeBrain. This app has a tremendous amount of capabilities for cyclists. Use this to map your ride with your phone’s GPS, connect to a heart rate monitor, or use the training mode. This app is only available for the iPhone.
- Breathe2Relax. This app developed by a joint Department of Defense project helps you to manage stress. Learn a variety of breathing exercises to help you manage stress, anger, or anxiety. Available for the iPhone, iPad, or Android devices.
- FirstAid. The American Red Cross has developed this helpful app to provide you with reliable information to use in medical emergencies. The app also includes quizzes and videos. This works on iPhone or Android devices.
- HealthyOut. Do you dine out a lot? This app is for you. Find the healthiest menu options on local menus and create your own balanced diet plan. Perfect for busy freelancers on the go and others who eat out a lot. Available for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod.
- MapMyRUN. Great app if you run to stay fit. Use your mobile device’s global positioning (GPS) feature to stay fit. Record the details of your run in this app and track your route. Available for the iPhone, Android devices, or your Blackberry.
- MindShift. This app is designed to help you overcome anxiety. It provides specific tools and advice to help with many common anxiety-related problems and is partially supported by the Anxiety Disorders Association of British Columbia. Available for Android devices, iPhone, iPad, and iPod.
- MyFitnessPal. Track your meals so that you always know how many calories you’ve consumed. You can also create a diet profile and interact with other dieters through their forums. Works with Android devices, iPhones or iPads, or Blackberry devices.
- Relaxing Sounds of Nature Free. Do you have trouble sleeping? This app can help. Create your own relaxing sleep soundtrack by mixing different soothing sounds provided by this app. Available for the iPhone, iPod, or iPad.
- RunKeeper. If you run to stay in shape, this app is for you. You can use your smart phone’s GPS system to track your run or enter data manually. You can also take part in their large online community. This app works for iPhone or Android devices.
- Symple – Symptom Tracker & Health Diary. How do you feel? You can probably answer that question now, but what about when your doctor asks you in a week? Record your symptoms daily with this handy iPhone app.
- White Noise Lite. Let these specially selected ambient sounds lull you to sleep. You can also set up a timer to shut the relaxing soundtrack off. This app works on iOs, Android, Mac, Windows, and even mp3 devices.
- Workout Trainer. Learn new exercises with the information provided here by professional trainers. You can also track your workouts. This app works on Android devices as well as iPhones or iPads. (Note: There is a free version and a pro version of the app.)
(Note: These apps were free at the time this post was written. Prices may change over time.)
So, there you have it–a dozen apps to help you improve your health.
What apps do you rely on to stay healthy? Share your favorites.