One of the things that many freelancers struggle with is that we find it hard to manage time. No matter how much we wish there were more hours in a day, the fact is that a day is only going to consist of 24 hours. If we can’t straighten our priorities, our productivity level and creativity isn’t going through shine through our work.
Having said good bye to 2009, it’s time to take control of our career and get things done, faster and more effectively. We’ve been creating lists of sites that we think will help freelancers learn more. We recently created a list of some of the top social media blogs and SEO related sites.
Today we are bringing you a list of some of the best productivity and personal development related blogs on the web.
20 Blogs You Should Read
Listed below are some of the best blogs in this particular field. Whether you are trying to get more out of a day for your business or personal life, we are sure these sites will help you achieve get more done. Just read and apply what they have to offer. We’ve also included a brief excerpt from each site to give you an idea what they are about.
Please note that the list below is not a ranking and the blogs mentioned are in no particular order.
- GTD Times: GTD Times is the official blog of David Allen and the David Allen Company. It’s the hub for ‘all things GTD’ where you can read the latest Getting Things Done and David Allen Company news, reviews and personal experience with tools and GTD-supportive technology, as well as GTD tips, tricks and strategies to help each of us lead happier, healthier, and more successful lives.
- Pick The Brain: PickTheBrain diverges from traditional “self-help” by taking a broader approach. Rather than sticking to a small set of topics, the site covers anything related to self improvement. Any information that people can use to live more prosperous, satisfying lives is a potential article.
- Unclutterer: Unclutterer is the website for home and office organization. It’s not just for the helplessly disorganized who would lose their heads if they weren’t attached, and pack rats looking to put their stashes on a diet, but also for obsessive compulsive neat freaks looking to squeeze even more order into their lives.
- PluginID: PluginID, named after the slogan ‘Plug into Your Identity’, is a site about helping you realise who you are, and perhaps more importantly, who you are not. The aim of this site is to awaken, inspire and motivate others into seeing that they can be who they want to be and live the life they want to live.
- Life Optimizer: Life Optimizer is about living your life to the fullest. The author believes many people (him included) live below their maximum potential. While they do achieve things in life, there are still many more they can achieve. The problem here is they do not optimize their life. There are aspects of their life which can be made better and more effective than they are now.
- The Positivity Blog: The Positivity Blog is focused on positivity and opening up new possibilities for happiness and awesomeness through motivating and practical articles on how to improve your life.
- Marc and Angel Hack Life: At “Marc and Angel Hack Life” the authors enjoy sharing practical thoughts on a broad range of topics pertaining to life, hacks, productivity, aspirations, health, work, tech and general self improvement.
- Get More From Life: The author started writing down ideas, thoughts and experiences in trying to answer questions. Today this website has over 600 articles and hundreds of comments from readers like you, hopefully moving us forward in finding the answers.
- Product Flourishing: Productive Flourishing is about the art of meaningful action. This blog is for people who are interested in being holistic, integrated people, can’t press pause on their life while they learn how to fix it and have to learn to fix their plane while it’s flying, are tired of productivity and personal development being about things instead of people.
- On Simplicity: On Simplicity is all about creating a happier, easier, more enjoyable life for yourself. What if you had fewer items on your to-do list, but they all got done? What if you had fewer time commitments, but enjoyed every single one of them? What if you had fewer possessions, but you truly valued all of them? That’s the power of simplicity: amplifying life’s pleasures by clearing out the clutter that gets in their way.
- Web Worker Daily: WebWorkerDaily was launched by GigaOM’s Om Malik in September 2006 and is written by a growing team of writers who cover the future of work in a post-broadband world. We offer practical tips and advice for anyone who uses the web for work, especially those who want to use the web to be more productive, more connected and more successful than they could otherwise.
- Illuminated Mind: The purpose of Illuminated Mind is to incite a ruthless resolve deep within to go with yourself; to empower and emancipate your most authentic self.
- Four Hour Work Week: Timothy Ferriss, the author of this blog has been nominated as one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Business People of 2007,” is an angel investor and author of the #1 New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and BusinessWeek bestseller, The 4-Hour Workweek, which has been sold into 35 languages.
- Steve Pavlina: Steve Pavlina is widely recognized as one of the most successful personal development bloggers on the Internet, attracting more than two million monthly readers to his website, StevePavlina.com.
- Litemind: Every event, feeling, problem or opportunity only exists through the filter of our minds. Putting simply, your mind is the world you live in. All results you get are directly related on how well you use it. But very few people actively pursuit ways to fully develop their potential through a more efficient use of their minds. This site will help you explore ways to use your mind efficiently.
- Zen Habits: Zen Habits is about finding simplicity in the daily chaos of our lives. It’s about clearing the clutter so we can focus on what’s important, create something amazing, find happiness. It also happens to be one of the Top 100 blogs in the world, is uncopyrighted.
- Lifehack: This site is dedicated to lifehacks. The phrase describes any hacks, tips and tricks that get things done quickly by automating, increase productivity and organizing. This site is built around this theme. This blog is endorsed by many major newspapers and publishers, and it is rated in the #100 most popular blog in the blogosphere.
- Dumb Little Man: A popular blog that covers productivity and all sort of lifehack. A must add for anyone looking to simplify their lives and take control. This site is all about finding simple ways to do things.
- Lifehacker: An award-winning daily blog that features tips, shortcuts, and downloads that help you get things done smarter and more efficiently. Lifehacker launched in January 2005, and now ranks as one of the top-linked blogs on the internet.
- Urban Monk: UrbanMonk aims to provide a free companion in your personal development journey inwards into yourself and outwards into the urban world – modern life, entwined with ancient spirituality.
Your Turn to Share
We know there are far more than twenty productivity and personal development blogs. The ones listed above are a few that we recommend. If you would like to share some and recommend our readers ones you think should have been on this list, please feel free to let us know through your comments.
By the way, how are you planning to get more done this year? Your tips as usual are valuable. We would love to hear your take on how you manage time between a demanding freelance career and personal life.
Image by chovy