There’s no question that social media is an important part of today’s Internet environment. If you freelance (or are thinking about freelancing), chances are that you’re already involved in social media somehow.
But social media has a dark side too — it’s very easy to spend too much time twitter, write too many comments on Facebook, or overuse social media in some other way. In this post, we’re going to help you decide if you’re using social media too much.
Here are 20 ways to tell if you are addicted to social media:
20 Ways to Tell If You Use Social Media Too Much
Here are a few funny ways to tell whether you might be addicted to social media. You may be addicted to social media if:
- You are going to spend the Christmas holiday with @grandma and @grandpa.
- You log in to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn (or another form of social media) before you eat breakfast or get dressed each morning.
- When a friend says something clever, you respond by saying “I’ll retweet that.”
- You plan your activities according to how tweetable they are.
- No Internet connection is a serious problem since you might miss someone’s status update.
- Whenever you finish watching a good movie or television show you feel the urge to give it a thumbs up (just like you would on StumbleUpon or Digg).
- You speak in bursts of 140 characters, or less.
- Instead of actually laughing when your friend says something funny, you say “ROFL.”
- You refer to door-to-door sales people as “spammers.”
- When you meet someone new who is interesting, you ask if you can “connect to their network.”
- You put your Ninja name (from Facebook quizzes) on your business card instead of your actual name.
- You have been wondering how you can “block” some of life’s everyday problems like heavy traffic, high prices, and yard work.
- When you have a problem, the first people you turn to for advice are the ones on Facebook or Twitter.
- You ask the pizza delivery person if they will deliver directly to your computer desk.
- You’re not getting enough sleep, but it’s not because you’re working too hard. It’s because you’re staying up late to keep your status up to date and to download pictures.
- You don’t take a vacation because you don’t want to miss a tweet.
- You trust the advice of your followers more than you trust the advice of your spouse or partner.
- You become anxious if someone you know refuses to friend you on Facebook or follow you on Twitter.
- You can’t remember the last time you spent an entire day without social media.
- You dream about social media comments and posts at night.
Your Turn to Share
We’ve shared some funny signs that you might be close to social media addiction, now it is your turn. Can you think of any funny indicators that might mean that you are using social media too much?
Also, if you’ve found that you really do have a problem managing social media, how have you dealt with it? Did you need to find outside help? What recommendations do you have for other social-media addicts?
Share your thoughts in the comments.
top icons by webtreats