What is the best VPN service to use, and why?

Clem J

Hi everyone. I’m looking for the best VPN out there and could use your recommendations. I need a VPN mostly to improve my security while browsing online and also to access some geo-restricted content. I need something that's reliable, fast, and has strong privacy features (no-log, kill-switch, etc). I’ve read a bunch of articles on CNET, Tom’s Guide and TechRadar covering the best VPNs, but they seem biased to me since these publications are earning commissions from advertising.

I’m willing to pay for quality, but obviously, I don't want to overpay for something basic. So, what VPNs have you guys had good experiences with? I’ve heard that NordVPN, Surfshark and ExpressVPN are kind of the most popular ones. But what’s the best one out there, and why? I’m also clueless how these VPN services differ from one another.

Are there any other VPNs that you would strongly recommend (or avoid)? Appreciate any tips or advice you can throw my way!

Thanks!

Best answer 🏆
I’d recommend you to steer clear of ExpressVPN. I was using it for a few years until Kape Technologies acquired it. Kape (formerly Crossrider) is known for making and distributing malware, and who knows what they're planning with ExpressVPN now. I switched over to NordVPN because it didn't sit right with me using a VPN tied to a company like Kape.

NordVPN currently offers a 30-day trial in case you want to try it: https://nordvpn.com/free-trial. You can get your money back within 30 days if you're not satisfied.
STAY AWAY from free VPNs if you care about privacy and security. Many of them simply couldn't care less about keeping your personal info secure, or log your data and sell it. I learned this the hard way with SuperVPN, there was a security breach not so long ago that exposed 360 million user records: https://www.foxnews.com/tech/massive-free-vpn-data-breach-exposes-360-million-records

I've been using Private Internet Access (PIA) since the SuperVPN breach. It's cheaper than Nord and Express, and it gets the job done for browsing and streaming. However, the interface isn’t as user-friendly as the more popular options and sometimes the connection can be a bit slower.

Upvote 3
I’d recommend you to steer clear of ExpressVPN. I was using it for a few years until Kape Technologies acquired it. Kape (formerly Crossrider) is known for making and distributing malware, and who knows what they're planning with ExpressVPN now. I switched over to NordVPN because it didn't sit right with me using a VPN tied to a company like Kape.

NordVPN currently offers a 30-day trial in case you want to try it: https://nordvpn.com/free-trial. You can get your money back within 30 days if you're not satisfied.

Upvote 13
Best answer 🏆
@RangerBob I was about to say the same! I’d like to add that ExpressVPN is owned by the same company that owns PIA (Private Internet Access) and CyberGhost, so all three VPNs are essentially the same product with the same features. Even though the malware drama was a long time ago, I’d still recommend to avoid these VPN services for good. @Clem J you can read more about Kape Technologies and Crossrider here https://restoreprivacy.com/kape-technologies-crossrider-malware, that’s an interesting read.

Upvote 2
I've been using NordVPN for over a year now and I’m quite happy with it. It's reliable and fast, and I rarely have to input captchas in Google (that used to be a big pain with ExpressVPN). Nord has both the no-log policy and the kill-switch feature you mentioned. The only downside is that it's a bit pricey compared to some others, but for me quality justifies the cost. It also frequently offers discounts, so it might be worth waiting for one if you want to buy a yearly subscription right off the bat.

Upvote 4
I’ve tried both NordVPN and ExpressVPN, and found ExpressVPN to be slightly faster, especially for streaming. It’s a bit more expensive, but the speed and reliability make it worth it for me.

Upvote 2
NordVPN is honestly the best VPN service out there in my opinion. You can disable DNS blockers if you want, and since it’s based in Panama, they’ve got strong privacy laws. You don’t even have to give them personal info to sign up. No email, no name, nothing. When you sign up, they just give you a long ID to log in with. Plus you can even pay with crypto. The speed is really good, and it’s super affordable at around $3.30 per month if you choose a two-year plan.

Upvote 2
I’ve tried both NordVPN and ExpressVPN, and found ExpressVPN to be slightly faster, especially for streaming. It’s a bit more expensive, but the speed and reliability make it worth it for me.
I cannot agree with this at all. I recently switched from ExpressVPN to NordVPN, and I'm really glad I did. I use a VPN daily, and I was getting super frustrated with low speed and all the Google captchas while browsing with ExpressVPN. I’ve had Nord on both my laptop and phone for over a month now, and the first thing I noticed was how much faster it is, plus no more annoying captchas. Both these VPN services are solid, but I think Nord gives you more bang for your buck. I do wish Nord’s apps were a bit more user-friendly like ExpressVPN's, but it's not a very big deal.

Upvote 2
I’ve read a bunch of articles on CNET, Tom’s Guide and TechRadar covering the best VPNs, but they seem biased to me since these publications are earning commissions from advertising.
This is true. Most review websites rate VPNs based on who pays them the most. It’s also common for VPN companies to buy large review sites to promote their products. That same notorious company Kape Technologies that @RangerBob mentioned bought a large vpn review site called vpnMentor and a few other review sites.

vpnMentor got aquired by Kape Technologies for $150 million, while PrivateInternetAccess, a popular VPN provider, was sold to the same company for $95 million.

It's funny that a VPN review site can be worth more than the VPNs it talks up. This is because these review sites make a ton of cash through advertising paid by these VPN services. While authors of these reviews pretend to be "security experts," it's mostly marketing people running the show. This industry is shady af.

Upvote 0
Back